1923 - Kansas City, Missouri.
Located directly west from the Nelson-Atkins Museum lawn is Sophian Plaza, designed by Shepard & Wiser, Architects. The original function was as high-rise luxury apartment building; country club-like amenities including a full service restaurant - with meal plan for those tenants who couldn't, or wouldn't, take meals in their six-room "efficiency" apartments. Or seven room units, with foyer, library, and service quarters. The Sophian was developed by Harry Sophian who also developed the Georgian Court Apartments introducing Kansas Citians to luxurious multi-unit dwelling in 1917.
Charles E. Shepard of Shepard & Wiser Architects (not to be confused with Clarence Shepard, Architect) was from Iowa and received education at University of Iowa - then moved to Kansas City during the building boom of late 19th century. Shepard was involved in 1888 news of the weird incident - horsewhipping? Really?
Shepard was partnered with Ernest H. Farrar until 1910, then Farrar and Alfred C. Wiser until 1918, only with Wiser until 1926, then finally with Frederick C. Pickett until 1931. Shepard was considered to be the primary design force in Shepard & Wiser.
The Sophian Plaza has a twin in Tulsa, Oklahoma built by Mr. Sophian in 1926 also designed by Shepard & Wiser. Photos of the Tulsa edition do not include the entry colonnade.
Sophian Plaza in Kansas City is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has had continuous 100% occupancy since opening in 1923.